Wednesday, April 15, 2009

If I were that girl's mom I’d skip Mass this week…

I have to admit that I am over a month late on picking up this news story- which is dismaying in itself. However, despite the time that has elapsed since the article was first ran in Time on 3/6/09, I feel it deserves attention:

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1883598,00.html?iid=sphere-inline-bottom

A brief summary:

A 9 year old girl in Brazil was raped by her stepfather and impregnated with twins. Abortion is generally illegal in Brazil, except for in cases of rape, or if the mother’s life could be in danger. An abortion was performed, as the 9 year old girl clearly met both of these criteria. The Catholic Church of Brazil has excommunicated the family of the girl and the doctors who performed the abortion.

Hmmm. If I were that girls mother right now, I might be questioning my religious affiliation. Now really, who thinks it’s a good idea for a 9 year old rape/incest victim to attempt to carry and deliver twins? Seriously… anyone?

My mother was a rabid pro-life advocate as I was growing up. We had boxes of pamphlets with dismembered fetuses on the covers in our basement and she would drag me to pro-life marches where we would hold up signs saying “Choose Life”. That was scarring to my young mind… but I digress. Even in with her strong convictions, she would not support this kind of insanity.

Now, I don’t like abortion. I think in most circumstances it can be avoided, through good birth control, or other alternatives like adoption. But when people, and institutions take a stance like this one it makes anti-abortion people look absolutely nuts! Of course, those same people wouldn’t want you to teach their children anything other than abstinence only sex-ed or to use a condom to prevent an unwanted pregnancy either. You can’t have it both ways folks!

No comments: