Monday, May 18, 2009

Can you pee safely?

I was walking back from Quizno's the other day with Ambo and we encountered the following sign pasted to a mail box:

Apparently I live a sheltered life, as I had no idea this was a problem. I don't generally notice the other restroom patrons, but apparently some people do and take issue with their presence. According the the National Center for Transgender Equality, less than 1% of the adult population is transgender. But for those select few this becomes quite an issue. Do you go in the bathroom of the gender you were born with, or the one you have transitioned to?

The going philosophy (at least according to several web sites I checked out) is to minimize confrontation by using the restroom of the gender you most closely appear to be, and by adhering to the "principle of least astonishment". I can get behind that. I would like to avoid astonishment in the restroom. Although I am sure that the Bear and I have astonished a few men in the past when we were forced by necessity to use "their" rest room. I have no qualms about going in the men's room because I will be damned if I am going to pee my pants if I can help it.

Which is why it makes sense to have more "family" and gender neutral restrooms available like they do in places such as the airport. For use by trannies and for all those daddies who don't know which restroom to take their little girls to. While investigating this issue, I also stumbled upon an interesting interactive web site:

http://www.safe2pee.org/beta/

I guess this website is for that <1% of the population to find a "safe" restroom. There are exactly four places to pee in Baltimore. Check out your area. See if you can pee safely!

1 comment:

kim said...

I swear, you find the best stuff.