Sunday, May 17, 2009

Jos. A. Bank can suck a wang

Apparently I have been feeding Timmy well as his best suit is getting to be a bit snug. And as it is unrealistic to expect to have a 28" waist forever, he paid a visit to Jos. A. Bank to cash in on their 2 suit and sport coat sale. After 35 minutes of being ignored and passed over by the sales people he left empty handed and came home frustrated.

What can we chalk this up to other than ageism? Because obviously a 50 year old has more to spend than a 26 year old, and thus deserves more attention from the sales staff. Or maybe not. Never mind that he needs those suits to go to his management position at a highly respected consulting firm for government contracts.

The thing that struck me about this was not the blatant discrimination, although that is certainly annoying. The thing that I found interesting was that unbeknown to me, I have passed out of that icky period where the outside world views you as no longer a child, but not yet a full fledged adult. When I enter a store, I now get an attentive "Can I help you ma'am?" Ok- don't love the "ma'am" part, but I get waited on without any trouble. It may be that now I look the part, with a 5 year old in tow and having passed 30, but I can't pin point when it actually happened. I'm just glad it has.

If the sales staff had not had preconceived notions about who was worthy of being helped, then tonight, Timmy would have a closet of new suits and a sales guy would have earned a nice commission. But that didn't happen. And that is why Jos. A. Bank (and all other companies that allow their staff to be discriminatory) can suck the big wang. Yes, I know- very mature for a 32 year old.

No comments: